Re: How will Emdebian deal with "flag version" kernel 2.6.35?

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 16:59:27 +0100
"W. Martin Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> wrote:

> there was recently an announcement
> (http://lwn.net/Articles/413341/)
> that a number of companies and projects using Linux
> for embedded devices want to settle on a common kernel
> version, 2.6.35.

... herding cats anyone?

It's a nice idea but I wonder how it's actually going to pan out and
how long such a recommendation remains relevant. Some devices need the
same kernel version for 5 to 7 years - some get new kernels at a whim.

> I wonder, if this has any effect on Emdebian? Would it
> be possible and desirable to support the same version?

There was a 2.6.35-1~experimental (1, 2 & 3) which is available from
snapshot.d.o but Squeeze has 2.6.32 and experimental has 2.6.36 already.
There is no 2.6.35 in Debian currently - it didn't slot into the Debian
release process.

The only kernels we have in Emdebian Grip are kirkwood kernels for
2.6.32 on armel but then stock kernels aren't that useful in Emdebian
generally.

There never were any kernels in Crush.

So, the basic situation is:

Emdebian has no source package for 2.6.35 because Debian has already
skipped it.

Kernel choice is determined by a lot of other factors - kernel
configuration is another matter entirely.

I'm not sure of the merit of a standard version - has it been agreed
that patches will be accepted into 2.6.35 and onwards into 2.6.37 and
38 and 39 .... If not, the standard version is only useful for those
who don't need changes to the kernel, at which point you wonder if they
could use any recent kernel.

To answer the question in the subject - Emdebian cannot deal with the
"flag version" kernel because that version of the kernel does not exist
in Debian or Emdebian. Emdebian can support whatever kernel version
people want to use - the decision about which version is left as an
exercise for the reader.

> (Background: In my company we are developing an Debian
> based embedded device with kernel 2.6.35.)

(We're too close to release on 2.6.29.1 to risk a kernel change now and
any new development is going to be on 2.6.36/37 or later. So 2.6.35 is
irrelevant for us.)