Re: Cross-compiling for powerpcspe

Hi Sebastian,

> * David Kuehling | 2010-10-29 12:18:58 [+0200]:
>> Hi,
> Hi David,

>> - It seems to be impossible to find the source-packages corresponding
>> to the binary packages in debian-ports.  E.g. debian-ports contains
>> gcc-4.4_4.4.4-4+powerpcspe4.5.dsc, however the corresponding
>> gcc-4.4_4.4.4.orig.tar.gz is not present on any debian mirror AFAICS.
>> Did I overlook something?
>     They are there if you look into the package folder. The uploads
> into unreleased don't update the source dist i.e. there is none.

The problem seems to be that the main debian repository is already one
version ahead, providing only gcc-4.4_4.4.5.orig.tar.gz .  As Neil
Williams pointed out, I can still get the older tgz from
snapshot.debian.org.

> As Wolfang mentioned we still have atleast one gcc bug which may
> produce wrong code under certain circumstances. Thus you should not
> use this in any production environment. A workaround is to add
> -fno-schedule-insns (as last paramter) another should be to disable
> double precision floating point.

Already subscribed to that bug.  I take it that your powerpcspe-specific
gcc patches do not fix that bug?

There are not too much other choices for a powerpcspe gcc compiler.
There is the Freescale supplied gcc 4.1 [1] (last updated 2007?), but I
won't trust it more than the unofficial Debian port's GCC :)

David

[1] http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=CWF-MPC8548ECDS-LTIB&location=null&Parent_nodeId=1096339385994714667028&Parent_pageType=product