Re: pdebuild-cross fixes in wook-shed branch

+++ Neil Williams [2010-09-28 08:43 +0100]:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:00:15 +0100
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
>
> > > 3: force-yes - NO. Use the actual no-auth support in apt, not the
> > > --force-yes sledgehammer. (See the multistrap code for code to turn
> > > off SecureApt.) This is a complete deal breaker - I will not upload code
> > > using --force-yes merely to disable SecureApt.
> >
> > I had to do it that way because apt >=0.8 didn't work with no-auth. It
> > still doesn't, although the failure has changed from the original:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/625042
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/646499
>
> (That such a disruptive change was made this close to a release
> infuriates me. It's plain dumb.)

Well, it also incredibly useful for us. new-apt has all the multiple
architecture machinery in it so suddenly all the work that apt-cross
used to have to do is done for us. All you need to do to look at
differnt-arch packaging info is ensure an arch is mentioned in the
apt.sources somewhere and then use -o APT:Architecture=<arch> in any
apt commands you might issue.

Having that available in the next release is worth quite a lot of pain
IMHO. xdeb is already using this functionality for example and instead
of having to re-implement all the package-downloading of apt-cross it
was a one-line change to add -o APT:Architecture=<arch> in the right
place.

> > Until we work out (or someone tells us) how to do authenticated
> > downloads into a chroot we have to use --force-yes or neither
> > multistrap nor pdebuild-cross actually work at all. I realise this is
> > pretty shoddy but it seemed a lot better than nothing.
>
> Shoddy doesn't even start to cover it. Is aptitude any better behaved?

Don't know. I'm about to mail the deity list to find out what's going
on.

> > I've got rid of that hook in latest checkin as it just installs
> > apt-cross and pile of pabout 15 perl packages in _eery single_ build,
>
> Good. If xapt is usable as the default, drop apt-cross entirely.

Done in ubuntu and wook-shed.

> > > There is - use the normal apt support for disabling SecureApt, not
> > > --force*. -o Apt::Get::AllowUnauthenticated=true
> >
> > I would if it worked.
>
> That is really, really poor behaviour by apt. I'm very disappointed
> that this has been broken so badly so close to a release.

Well, so far as I can see it is now doing the right thing. I reckon it
was only working by sheer chance before anyway. So whilst it's very
tiresome we do need to do it properly, and actually I think there's
still time.

http://wookware.org/