Re: A few more multistrap questions..

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:31:39 -0400
Jim Heck <pinball.rules@gmail.com> wrote:

> First, it doesn't seem to matter to multistrap which stanza a package is
> listed under.

That is in the manpage - explicitsuite. However, it is limited by the
need for the suite names to actually differ. To be binary compatible,
Emdebian uses the same suites in the same manner as Debian.

> It downloads it from what I surmise is the latest version
> from the collective sources available (the documentation seems to confirm
> this behavior).  In this it seems to treat Grip (em1 suffix) sources as
> later than Debian sources.  Is this a correct interpretation?

Yes.

> So assuming the above is true, I take it that Grip packages will always be
> preferred (if they exist) by multistrap over the Debian fallback

Yes but it's not multistrap, it's apt doing this.

Better to run the package through emgrip and put that into a local
repository. Having all packages run through emgrip will avoid problems
with dependencies.

> Next, I was trying to separate out the -dev packages so that I can build two
> different kinds of root filesystems, one with the -dev packages and one
> without.

I haven't heard of that needing to be done before....

-dev packages were never really considered as part of a rootfs, more to
support the use of an installed Grip system to then install build deps
for specific packages.

> This brings me to a different question.  I tried putting some of
> the -dev packages in a separate stanza (Grip-dev) in a variant file.  That
> worked, but elicited a warning that there were duplicate sources.list
> entries

Ignore it.

> Is there a way to have multiple packages= lines in different stanzas for the
> same repository, so that a cascade can be constructed that either includes
> or does not include various packages without ending up with the warnings or
> the duplication of sources.list entries?

The warning doesn't affect anything, so there's no point.

> [Grip]
> packages=base-files base-passwd bash bc binutils busybox coreutils

You don't need to specify all of these - anything that is Priority:
required will be added unless you specify omitrequired in the config.
(Also in the manpage.)

> source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
> keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
> suite=squeeze
> components=main dev

You've got -dev in this one but this looks like the one for the rootfs
without -dev packages.