Re: essential packages in Emdebian

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:01:42 +0200
Achim Scheidl <AchimRS@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
> what are all the packages of Emdebian Grip Squeeze flagged with the
> [essential] tag?

None because no packages in Emdebian are Essential.

http://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedDebianFAQ#NoEssentialinEmdebian

This is a common misconception about how Debian classifies packages as
Essential. Essential exists solely to shorten the dependency lists of
other packages, it does not indicate which packages are essential to
the operation of a Debian or Emdebian system. In Debian, packages which
are required for all basic Debian tasks are classified as
important are Priority: important etc. Essential only means that
packages which depend on an Essential package do not (indeed should
not) specify a dependency on those packages unless the package needs a
specific version of that package which is higher than the version in
oldstable.

In Emdebian, there is no common package set and users are free to
ignore all Priority settings. Multistrap has a configuration setting to
omit all Priority: required packages for this reason. Essential
packages receive special handling by dpkg and apt which complicates the
freedom to use only the specific packages that an Emdebian system might
need, therefore Emdebian drops the Essential flag completely.

An Emdebian system can be simply a kernel and a shell or it can be a
full system which has nearly all the packages commonly found on a
Debian desktop. Importantly, Emdebian can offer any combination of
packages within that spectrum whereas the minimal set in Debian is
still a few hundred packages.

> Due to problem with my installation by missing/wrong packages I need
> to review all these essential packages,

No, what you need is to work out just which packages you need for your
system. Generally, you can add all Priority: required packages and then
prune those back.

> but could not figure out how
> to find a complete list. Probabaly a meta-package "essential" would
> be a good idea to allow simple installation...

No. There is no common set of "essential" packages, as explained above.
No two Emdebian package sets would have the same list.

Emdebian allows systems to consider libpango1.0-0 as Essential or to
choose busybox as the top of the chain. But, as above, Essential in
Debian does not mean what you think it means. What you are looking for
is 'Required' or some subset of required.

$ man multistrap.

grep-available  -FPriority 'required' -sPackage

This gives you a full list of Priority: required packages but you won't
necessarily need all of them.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/