No installer menu, so cannot select preconfiguration file

I'm trying to install Emdebian on a Helios SBC (x86 proc). I have the
current hd-media installer image[1] and the installer daily build[2],
and I've put them on a bootable USB stick with syslinux. The
syslinux.cfg file contains:

default vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz

The drive contains the files:

debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
initrd.gz
vmlinuz
syslinux.cfg
ldlinux.sys

The installer launches fine, but the problem is that there's never any
installer menu - it just boots straight into the text based installer.
Which means that following the auto-installation docs[3] is
impossible, since they start:

    From the Debian Installer menu, select...

So how do I configure things to get an installer menu? Or, can I add
something to syslinux.cfg to get it to work?

- Jason

[1] http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/
[2] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/squeeze_d-i/current/i386/iso-cd/
[3] http://www.emdebian.org/grip/index.html#autoinstall