Re: Policy changes which completely break apt-cross

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:00:48AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
>
>> apt-cross cannot be fixed to work around this issue because it has to
>> ignore Architecture:all packages in order to be able to resolve *any*
>> dependency chains without getting into a complete mess with packages
>> like debconf and perl.
>
> Can apt-cross be made to download the Contents file and use that to
> check whether a package contains useful files? This is what I'm using to
> generate the packages in "cross-repo", and that has been mostly
> successful (it even handles the "flex" package correctly).

FYI: This is a non-issue for apt-ma-emu. The libfoo-dev-arch-cross
package will just depend on libfoo-dev-common or
libfoo-whatever-arch-cross and pull them in too. This then becomes a
dpkg-cross issue to do the right thing with the package (which I think
it will anyway).

So maybe we can ignore this issue till the experimental apt moves into
sid and apt-ma-emu can replace apt-cross?

> The only issue this system has is that packages that do not provide any
> files are not expected to depend on packages that do, which removes
> metapackages like libboost-dev; this cannot be avoided easily as almost
> all packages' dependency chains end at libc6.
>
> Ignoring arch:all -dev packages is also a problem with header-only C++
> libraries, such as large parts of Boost and libasio; both of these are
> handled fine in the cross repo as I ignore the Architecture field and
> just look at the file list.

Similar in apt-ma-emu, which looks at the architecture when it decides
wether to rename a package or not in addition to its pattern list.

>    Simon

MfG
        Goswin