Re: Baked repository

On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:54:25 +1000
"Brendan Simon (eTRIX)" <brendan.simon@etrix.com.au> wrote:

> I would like to experiment generating a Baked filesystem.

Ah, the DIY one. ;-)

> Are there any Baked repositories ?? Baked-Grip or Grip-Baked ??

No.

> If not, are there some basic instructions to generate a local Baked
> repository ??

Haven't got round to writing those as yet.

> The following Emdebian Baked page mentions using custom scripts with
> emgrip and "usebaked"
> http://www.emdebian.org/baked/
>
> Is there a simple way to get a baked version of the emdebian grip
> repository ??

Fairly simple. You certainly don't need the complexity of the
emdebian-grip-server package but there is some scripting probably
needed.

It depends how many packages you want to have and how often you want to
update packages in your repository against those in Grip.

The core of the process is:

$ emgrip --vendor emdebian-baked $package

Using --vendor retrieves the "usebaked" for you, or you can specify it
yourself:

$ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="usebaked" emgrip $package

emgrip puts the rebuilt package into /tmp unless told otherwise (see
emgrip (1)).

emgrip also works with a .dsc so that your repository can have the
source packages too - you'll need that if your repo is "publicly
visible".

>From there, it's a case of including the rebuilt packages into a
repository like reprepro. emdebian-grip-server tries to create a
default repository but it turns out to be an all-or-nothing approach
where unless the scripts make all the assumptions for you, nothing
works without manual editing of files in conf/.

Thing is, I'm not sure how much Emdebian can assume as defaults for
Baked. Neither is there any real way of adding the Baked processing to
the Grip processing on the current server until the Grip code can
improve the processing speed by some 500%.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/