Re: Does dpkg-cross need to support static linking?

Hi,

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 11:45:20AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:

> 2. If so, there is no point in dpkg-cross preserving the .a files
> either, presumably.

Missing .la files makes static linking somewhat more difficult, but it
was never guaranteed that -dev packages pull in the -dev packages for
all libraries used by them (ideally, they'd not reexport others' ABI/API
and thus not require a dependency at all), so when linking statically, I
need to be aware of the full dependency chain either way.

> 3. Is static linking (outside of bespoke kernel / busybox micro
> systems) of any benefit in the typical cross-build environment?

I use it regularly, but generally only with packages where I took the
liberty of removing the .la file already, so I'd not miss much if .la
files were gone (also, pkg-config can replace their functionality).

   Simon