emdebian-tools 2.2.x

I know it's not usual to drop entire sections of packages but I feel
that emdebian-tools needs to be radically stripped down. That will give
us less dependencies but to do that, it does mean losing scripts - some
important ones, some less important.

I want to drop:
/usr/bin/em_make
/usr/bin/emdebcheck
/usr/bin/emrecent
/usr/bin/emsource
/usr/bin/emtargetcmp
/usr/bin/emxcontrol
/usr/share/emdebian-tools/embritney
/usr/share/emdebian-tools/upload_handler.sh
/usr/share/doc/emdebian-qa/buildd/example_autobuild.sh
/usr/share/doc/emdebian-qa/buildd/example_manualbuild.sh
/usr/share/doc/emdebian-qa/buildd/example_manualupdate.sh
/usr/share/emdebian-tools/emdebian.buildd
/usr/share/emdebian-tools/emsources.testing
/usr/share/emdebian-tools/emsources.unstable
/usr/share/emdebian-tools/testing
/usr/share/emdebian-tools/unstable

The empdebuild support will be replaced by multistrap. (multistrap
2.1.2 includes support for preparing a usable cross-building chroot
that is compatible with pbuilder.) I've written a few pbuilder hooks
that allow cross-building using apt-cross but the real gain will be
getting those hooks to use apt-ma-emu.

emsource is replaced by apt-get source or dget
(there is an emsource.sh for creating the initial builds using
svn-buildpackage.) The rest is to use ordinary Debian tools.

emdebuild will stay, for now, but is being stripped down at each
release.

The focus will be solely on Emdebian Crush and on preparing versions of
existing Debian packages *as* Debian packages and then post-processing
with emdebian-grip to create packages for Crush or Baked.

No more autobuilder - we have only a few hand-picked packages.

Hooks for existing packages instead of replacements.

Maybe rename some packages too - split out the toolchain scripts into
another package that only some people would need, instead of being in
the top level package.

This will happen in Debian experimental, alongside development of
multistrap 2.1.x in Debian experimental and emdebian-tools will depend
on the experimental multistrap.

During these transitions, the documentation on the website WILL be out
of date, it can't be helped because the new methods have to be fleshed
out before the docs will make much sense. As far as multistrap is
concerned, I hope that the example config files and the Wiki page will
help explain what is going on. If multistrap doesn't do what the config
makes you think it would do, file a bug.

Overall results:
Installed-Size: [-248-] {+188+}
Installed-Size: [-304-] {+196+}
Installed-Size: [-264-] {+228+}
Installed-Size: [-188-] {+168+}

25% reduction in the package size so far, more to be done and less
scripts in the packages also means fewer dependencies - a lot fewer.

Please test multistrap - it's the next key package for Emdebian, after
emdebian-grip. It *can* already do a whole lot more than you may expect
and it is aiming to do more still. If you want a tool to create a root
filesystem or a build chroot, multistrap aims to be the tool for the
job.

Tell me what you need multistrap to do.

Tell me what you want emdebian-tools to do - but keep that focused on
Emdebian Crush. (One option is to drop the emdebian-tools package name
and replace as emdebian-crush.)

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/