Re: Experiments with Crush

Hello,

2010/4/2 Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>:
> Further experimentation has clarified how to change the packages.

Great! :)

> 1. No changes to the source package name - only binary packages. This
> is because packages have various assumptions that the source package
> name won't change and the build tools themselves reinforce those
> assumptions with real build breakage.
>
> 2. Host the debian/ directory in Emdebian SVN at
> current/target/$package-crush
>
> 3. Keeping the same source package name also means not having to alter
> the filenames of original tarballs, making builds easier.
>
> 4. svn-buildpackage, svn-inject and svn-update used to try and maintain
> the packages.
>
> So far, half the necessary packages have built and one (busybox) is
> largely ready.

I have been also thinking this approach is best with current resources
we have, but more like we do in toolchain packages which build-depend
on *-source binary packages containing the source. So the question is
if we could have a real gain if all Essential Debian packages could
provide a *-source package (maybe those are unneeded).

Kind Regards and happy Eastern! :-)
--
 Héctor Orón