Re: Crush cannot support building packages.

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 20:53 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:58:46 +0200
> hoefle marco <marco.hoefle@nanotronic.ch> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 19:16 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> > > However, this will only work if you can use the packages from Lenny
> > > to provide the cross-dependencies.
> > >
> > > Crush 1.0 is a proof-of-concept - a test case. What the proof showed
> > > was that the system to generate Crush required extensive changes to
> > > make it suitable for Crush 2.0. :-(
> > >
> > > The changes are sufficiently complex that there is a chance Crush
> > > might not make a 2.0 release at all.
> >
> > :-( that makes crush not available for a large amount of boards in the
> > embedded world. I deal a lot with boards having typical flash sizes
> > around 32 MBytes which will be to less for grip. I don't know what the
> > actual GRIP:CRUSH installation ratio is but I suppose there is a need
> > for crush.
>
> Crush 1.0 can fit in 24Mb installed. The smallest Grip install is 75Mb
> and is extremely unlikely to ever be any smaller - if anything, Grip
> will gradually creep up to a 80 or 90Mb minimum. Crush could get down to
> 10Mb installed and quite possibly smaller.
>
> Quite how small Crush 2.0 will be is largely down to you - if you want
> it, get involved in making it. It is a *lot* of work.

I can imagine that it is a lot of work. But to do this work there is a
need to have good skills in scripting languages and a very good
knowledge in debian. I basically use Debian on my Desktop PC because of
crush as I wanted to evaluate crush and I got to like the debian
world :-)
So I am still a newbie in debian but what I can do is to upload cross
compiled packages for crush which I have managed to run on our ARM
board.
I think it would be good if other people using crush also upload their
"success".