Re: d-i installation on embedded devices (was Re: [pkg-fso-maint] MTD Installation)

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:00:48PM +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
> I think we clearly need to have a plan, divided into two phases:
>
> 1) installation into the microSD
>
>    a. booting d-i on the FR, which is an easy task given that we must
>       use the pkg-fso kernel package [2].
>
>    b. starting the graphical installer with a virtual keyboard, since
>       there is no physical keyboard, thus the textual installer cannot
>       be used.
>
>       After my talk at last FOSDEM'09 [3], I talked with Jeremy Bobbio about
>       that: from a quick view he had at d-i, this should not be so
>       difficult either, given that d-i already uses the framebuffer.

Just to be precise: the "graphical installer" already uses
GTK+/DirectFB.  As DirectFB already has support for touchscreens
(through Tslib), I expect the support to be mostly about adding support
for an on-screen keyboard.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism