Re: Why does Grip install build /var/cache/apt?

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:47:53 +0000
David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:

> Is there a good reason to keep /var/cache/apt/archives after a debootstrap
> chroot install of Grip?  Is there an option in debootstrap to tell it not to
> keep it.  On the system I have just built, it occupies approximately 27M of
> 109M.

em_multistrap has some support for doing this. The real point is that
debootstrap does this by default, partially so that things can be fixed
if the configuring of any packages fail during the second stage.

> I maintain an apt-cacher server, so that I have local copies of everything
> anyway, so keeping a copy on the embedded system does not seem sensible.
>
> If there is no option on debootstrap, maybe an extra step to do an apt-get
> clean in the chroot would be a good idea.

Of course, apt-get clean only works if the debootstrap is native - a
lot of people are using Grip on different architectures to their
development machine. Again, em_multistrap has a prototype for handling
this situation but is very very very new.

See: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=520087