Re: How to install Bootloader

Thanks for the reply Paul,and appreciate your efforts.
The option for JTAG is completely out..My company has given me this handheld,dunno what world it belongs too..it has no open interfaces.It just has one USB host ,one USB slave and Wifi.
what i did learn is that it is possible to install crush on the arm architecture,and can be done through a USB stick..But i guess there was not tech details of doing this.I assumed that may be its running windows,so interrupting the bios, and then making in boot form the USB would be a way to go..Do I still have this option?
Or is there another way to do it..I have the freedom to erase off everything from the NandFlash and start from scratch..
Regards,
Rupin

2009/3/16 Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@gmail.com>
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Rupin Chheda <rupin.chheda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a device which is running WinCE currently,and i need to get Linux on
> this device.It runs ARM 926EJ-S with 64 MB Ram..The device only has one USB
> host and one USB Slave..
> The issue that I face is that I am not able to halt the bios on this
> device,so that I could actually coax it to open a serial terminal so that I
> could install from the USB stick.Is it the way we halt bioses on normal
> machine by pressing the del key?
>
> Can you please point to a how-to or getting started in such a scenario..
>
> Also,before I format and go to the next step,What kind of a GUI does
> embdebain support on such a hardware configuration?.WinCE is running pretty
> well on this, with the Touchscreen working well, so my guess is there would
> be support for a native display manager...
>
> Thanks,
> Rupin

Rupin,

Bootloaders for arm systems generally look a lot different than the
bios/grub combination you might be used to with x86, but as with x86
you do need a bootloader. I would checkout your specific platform and
see if someone has already ported a bootloader (u-boot and redboot are
very common). If it's currently running WinCE then there is a good
chance the only way to get the bootloader on the unit is to use a
JTAG device.

thanks,
Paul