Re: Cross-building toolchain

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 00:48:25 +0100
Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> (Please CC me on replies as I'm not subscribed.)
>
> Hi,
>
> I've recently started using your cross toolchain to build upstream armel
> and s390 kernels. Thanks for providing them.

On behalf of Hector, who does most of the work to provide them, thanks
for the positive feedback.

> I have a few comments and questions.
>
> First, I noticed that the package info is unchanged from the standard
> packages. That means that you get the following:
>
> $ aptitude show gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi-base
> Package: gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi-base
> Version: 4.3.3-5
> Section: devel
> Maintainer: Debian GCC Maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
>
> IMO both the Priority and the Maintainer fields are incorrect. Priority
> for all crossbuild packages should be "extra", and I'd suggest to change
> the Maintainer field to  the actual person doing the builds or maybe the
> d-embedded list.

Good point - we try to avoid keeping too many patches for the actual
toolchain builds and the debian/control file in gcc is automatically
generated (which is another story - I intend to file the bug once I'm
back home next week) but we can arrange to patch debian/control.m4 and
there's a reasonable chance that we could get that change implemented
in the Debian package, alongside the existing support for Ubuntu
maintainer information. Hector?

> Second, gcc-4.1 packages are currently uninstallable for sid/amd64 because
> the gcc packages are version 4.1.2-23 while the -base packages are still
> at 4.1.2-22. For example:
> gcc-4.1-s390-linux-gnu         4.1.2-23
> gcc-4.1-s390-linux-gnu-base    4.1.2-22
>
> I find that surprising as both are arch-specific packages and from the
> same source package.

Sorry about that - we do use edos-debcheck and other tools to try and
ensure that all packages are installable.

-base is a constant aggravation in the toolchain builds, it really
isn't necessary for the toolchain packages to depend on it but it has
proven difficult to maintain a patch to constantly remove it. (Most of
the time spent on that patch was also during the Lenny freeze which
didn't help.) Hopefully, we can work with gcc in Debian to get a more
sustainable mechanism to remove -base dependencies when preparing a
toolchain.

Do you need gcc-4.1 for a particular reason?

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/