Re: second stage?

Paul Thomas wrote:
I know this is a lot of info, but I would appreciate any help anyone
can offer. When I get this all worked out I plan to publish a
mini-tutorial on the opencircuits site.

I've taught on this topic at the Embedded Systems Conference, actually. I'd be happy to help you with that tutorial if you like!

The first-stage debootstrap doesn't create very many device nodes, in particular the console node and most of the ttyS*'s. I haven't bothered to track the reason down, but I bet it's because they're created in a script that will only run during the second stage of the bootstrapping process--- and a foreign-architecture debootstrap only runs the first stage. So I just create them manually.

Then I boot the board to a shell, either nfsroot'ing to the new filesystem or in a chroot. Then I run /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage. After that, you'll just need things like an fstab, /etc/network/interfaces, and such.

Once you've got that all set, you have a fully-functional [em]Debian environment.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com