First emdebian package

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> OK, let me know how you get on. A bug report against
> buildd.emdebian.org (just as you did for udev) would do just fine - one
> for each package that you get to cross-build and attach the patch files
> created by emdebuild.

Ok I've done the first one (strace) :

The package builds cleanly (with both emdebuild and empdebuild) and
executes correctly on the target.
The contents look ok (just the binary, no man pages etc).

However I do have a few questions :

The build worked fine even _without_ the patch for debian/xcontrol
(including in a embdebuild chroot). So do I need the xcontrol in this
case? (there are no library dependencies beyond build-essential and
debhelper).

Assuming the xcontrol is needed there is a lot of duplication with
control. The wiki mentions the possibility of using xcontrol(1) from
debian/rules to generate debian/control from debian/xcontrol however a
cursory look at a few crush packages didn't show me any uses of this
(I haven't grepped for this on a full checkout though). What is the
recommended practice here?

Is there anyway of getting emdebuild not to generate patches for my
editor autosave files (*~) ?

Cheers,

Martin