Re: Status of gpe on emdebian crush

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:27:11 +0100
"Martin Fuzzey" <mfuzzey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I certainly don't expect crush to support building packages - I
> guess it was my mention of the libpango1.0-dev package that led you to
> think that. Now you've pointed me in the right direction regarding the
> pango config files thats fine.
>
> On the other hand I _do_ think that simple debugging tools like strace
> ltrace and maybe gdb-server would be useful (although I see that both
> gdb and gdb-server are in the same package - a pity). Certainly these
> are not packages I would want to install on a small flash filesystem
> but on a NFS root for development why not?

If we can get them to cross-build, yes.

> I'll try to see if I get anywhere building packages for these. I have
> previously cross compiled strace for arm but not with emdebian but
> buildroot.

OK, let me know how you get on. A bug report against
buildd.emdebian.org (just as you did for udev) would do just fine - one
for each package that you get to cross-build and attach the patch files
created by emdebuild.

Check places like openembedded and other cross-building groups for
patches that may be necessary to help the upstream cross-build - most
of the changes will probably be in the debian/ directory and will
follow existing fixes. The Wiki sections for those are getting a bit
stale so feel free to update them and add more tips.

The main changes are getting the autotools-dev README.Debian changes
implemented in debian/rules, creating a debian/xcontrol file (see any
of the existing Crush packages for examples) and then handling things
like busybox compatibility, manpage removal etc. Hopefully, the
combination of cross-building autobuilder logs and patch sets for all
existing packages should be of help in getting other packages to
cross-build - especially command line tools.