Re: How to use an existing cross compiler / boards to make an Emdebian distribution ?

On 2009-01-07 15:51 +0800, 张增波 wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am an new "em-debianer"。I am working on an existing ARM9 based board,
> the cpu manufacturer provide us an cross compiler and an modified
> version of Kernel , Uboot, and basic root filesystem plus some libraries
> dedicated to this chip。After searching real-world approachs to manage
> the embedded linux packages ,I found that the emdebian way is the best
> 。So I want to use the debian package mechnism to manage many open
> source packages, but I don't know how to use an existing compiler (which
> is not generated by emsetup、emchain) to make such an "distribution".
> Could any one give me some suggestions or guides or even hints?

You need to make sure that when arm-linux-gnu-foo (or
arm-linux-gnueabi-foo) is called, your tools get called. Putting the
path to your tools binary dir on the front of the PATH will help here
(may be sufficient). If your compiler is called something different
then you probably want to make symlinks from the normal locations, so:
/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnu-gcc -> yourgcc
/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnu-as -> yourassembler etc

If you look at the structure of a standard emdebian toolchain it shows
how the binaries are installed on Debian, so you can use that to work
out what symlinks to make.

There are various other ways you can run at this but that's what I'd do.

Supplied compilers are usualy quite self-contained so substitution is
not too difficult.

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/