Re: Mountable filesystem image

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 12:51:39PM +1100, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
This is a bit off topic, but I want to use something like this for booting emdebian linux systems :)

Anyone know of a filesystem image format that is mountable and writable ??

I was thinking of something along the lines of the qcow2 format for QEMU, but something that is mountable by the linux kernel.

Essentially I want an ext2/ext3 rootfs (and possibly others) filesystem image that lives on a compact flash card that the linux can mount and use inplace as filesystem. i.e. all modifications would get written back to the filesystem image.

I do not want to format and partition the CF card into ext2/ext3 partitions. I want to keep the one FAT partition and have multiple linux filesystem images as files on the FAT partition.

I am in no way expert on the subject, but just happened to stumble across the following last night, which sound exactly like the thing you are looking for: http://www.aweiler.com/linux/debianonflash.html

Especially the following (at bottom of first section of the page):

You can use Compact Flash drives off the shelf. We will leave them formatted as FAT drives. The Linux file system will be inside one or more container files. If you like, you can attach the Compact Flash to any Windows box and copy these files for backup.

Hope that helps,

 - Jonas