Re: emdebuild -v: generated package_em1_arm.deb->data.tar.gz empty

+++ Neil Williams [2009-06-18 13:33 +0100]:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:04:51 +0200
> hoefle marco <marco.hoefle@nanotronic.ch> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I am experimenting with the debian/emdebian tools. The goal is to have
> > an "emdebianized" library.
>
> For which you must first have a working, Policy compliant, Debian
> library package with supporting metadata.

Actually, if you are only using it internally it doesn't _have_ to be
policy compliant, although that's still a good idea as everything in
policy is there for long-term supportability.

> > What I did now to get an emdebian package:
> >
> > -dh_make -e marco.hoefle@haslerrail.com
> > -f ../libdbusapihasler-0.0.0.tar.gz
>
> That is nowhere near enough to generate a Debian package and therefore
> insufficient to create an Emdebian package from that. Packaging for
> Debian is not a trivial task, especially for libraries.
>
> > This creates the ./debian/control file + several others. I edited the
> > control file,  dh_make suggests the package name, so
> > libdbusapihaslerBROKEN was changed to libdbusapihasler.
>
> The dh_make template files need considerable editing before they will
> generally make a useful package.

Yes - there is a fair amount more fettling you need to do, although
for a simple library package it's not that difficult. The main thing
is to be careful about naming, and so-names. The Debian policy
document explains how it should be done.

> You are missing 99.9% of the work of packaging a library for
> Debian.

That's a bit harsh. For a simple package dh_make could easily have
done 60% of the work, but it leaves you the hard parts :-)

> This issue has nothing to do with Emdebian and everything
> to do with learning Debian packaging requirements. All Emdebian
> packages need to start out as Policy-compliant Debian packages.

Like I said, all you really need is a working library package. We
package a couple of libraries locally for our projects and there is a
certain amount of whinging from Lintian, but they work fine in a Grip
system. But yes, this is all about 'how do I package a library for
Debian'. There is very little special about emdebian packaging: an
xcontrol file and making sure the rules file is cross-build compatible
are the only extra requirements.

Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/