Re: second-stage and qemu

Hector Oron a écrit :
Hello,

  I would just like to comment on-list how Olivier (from Canonical)
solved second-stage configuration by running qemu[1]. I think this
might be quite useful for people wanting to configure the rootfs on
their host machine.

Cheers

[1] build-arm-rootfs-karmic

   Hello,

For those who prefer to work directly with the target... I'm surprised nobody mentionned the following method.

I had several times these years to run debootstrap --second-stage. I always did it by chrooting to the new filesystem. You will tell me that this means you already have an older working filesystem running on the machine. Well, this is no longer true. With recent kernel versions, you can provide very easily an initramfs together with the kernel. In this case, the kernel will ignore any "command-line" argument specifying the rootfs, but mount the initramfs as a virtual-only filesystem, provided it contains an executable init.

This feature is very convenient because you may have in ramfs a working baby-OS using busybox. Then you just need to mount your new filesystem and
"chroot debian-filesystem /usr/sbin/debootstrap --second-stage".

When this is done, you are back from the chroot and you need just to "switch_root" to run your new debian-filesystem...

Depending on the available ram, you can have more or less fun with your busybox, but the minimum is a shell + mkdir, mount, umount, chroot, switch_root, reboot (ifconfig if you want to nfs-mount your debian-filesystem). It takes some learning of initramfs and busybox but is very handy.

   Cheers.

Didier Kryn
APC Universite Paris-7