Re: emdebian rootfs

Hi,
not sure this question is really emdebian related but...

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM, soltani samir
<soltanstein.ii@gmail.com> wrote:
> good  morning Mr:
> I'm new developer in embedded system (student) , I use "emdebian-tools", I
> have used "emsandbox" for create a rootfs for "arm" and I try to create a
> disk img for emulate on "qemu" , after that I have build a kernel zImage
> (for a "arm versatile" machine) (the host is i386):
>
> 1- step:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=rootfs.img bs=100M count=1
> mkfs.ext2 -i 1024 rootfs.img
> mkdir /mnt/rootfs
> mount -o loop rootfs.img /mnt/rootfs
> rsync -a /mnt/new/buildroot/rootfs/arm/* /mnt/rootfs/
> chown -R root:root /mnt/rootfs/
> sync

Looks OK though emsandbox should have created a .tar.gz file that you
can untar into your loopmounted filesystem rather than using rsync on
an already extracted version. Maybe you're doing this because you've
manually modified some files in the root filesys? If so you might want
to look at the emsandbox setup.sh, config.sh, packages.conf files
which will let you customize the tar generation in a reproducible way.

Also you should umount your image before giving it to qemu.

> 2- step:
> qemu-system-arm -kernel zImage -hda rootfs.img -M versatilepb
>
> but the kernel can not found the rootfs.

Please post your kernel boot messages.
I suspect:
   * Missing root=  kernel option (see the qemu -append option)
   * Missing filesystem / block device drivers in the kernel image -
as you don't have an initrd you must compile everything you need to
boot into the kernel image (ext2 in your case plus drivers for
whatever storage hardware qemu simulates)

Martin