Re: emdebian development model

+++ Prince Riley [2009-04-26 19:34 +0000]:
>    Hello Everyone,
>
>    Martin contributed a basic embedded development use case in� a recent post
>    to the list.

He did, and it was very relevant.

>    I would like to add to that case a few more points.

I'm not quite sure how your points relate to emdebian. Are you
suggesting that we should do something other than provide
toolchains, as we do currently?

Your points seem reasonable to me, apart from this one:

>      * Most important to embedded dev work is a clean, robust toolchain and
>        cross compile process with a GUI development and emulator support
>        (QEMU). I use Eclipse. �

A GUI environment may be nice but it's not a requirement. I don't use
one. Same for emulators. Cross-toolchains and cross-build
management/rootfs creation are all we use on our projects, so emdebian
provides everything we need.

Making a more complete generic debian-based environment to help
embedded devleopment is good thing, but the parts you talked about are
not at all generic and I'm not sure how we'd go about doing that. We
could build hordes of kernels and bootloaders for various machines,
but to some degree others already do that, and someone would need to
take on the admin of such a facility. We are open to suggestions on
this front, but to be honest I think we have enough to do with the bit
we've already bitten off.

Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/