Re: [Emdebian] apt-get on embedded systems

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:11:49 +0100
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> How many packages do we want in Grip *main* in total ? It'll be over
> 1,000 by the time this current run is done and I know that is smaller
> than it needs to be. Should we go to 5,000 or try to stay below 2,000?
> Above 5,000 is where the size of the Grip Packages file will start to
> become noticeable again, above 10,000 in one place and we lose some of
> the benefits of the filtering.
>
> -doc and -dev packages are now automatically filtered into doc and dev
> components respectively (although there are very few actual packages in
> existence so far). Those are easy because we can rely on the package
> name for filtering. It gets harder if we want packages like exim to be
> in alternative archive components to avoid cluttering main.

The basic package building tools are in Emdebian Grip Sid but I've got
a few issues to sort out with the doc and dev components before adding
the -dev packages themselves. That'll be implemented in emdebian-grip
1.9.2 - if things go to plan, due early next week. (If emdebian-rootfs
leaves NEW over the weekend, 1.9.2 will be 2.0.0 into Debian.)