Re: Creating a rootfs with grip packages

Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:22:33 +1100
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

I don't need the target system to actually be running a true em/debian system that can execute dpkg*, apt*, etc.

I just want to use em/debian binary packages and tools to create a rootfs, which I can then program directly into flash. The kernel would then mount the rootfs (from flash) and boot the target system.

So you just need a smaller rootfs - OK, I'll look at an option in
multistrap that omits the Required: packages and leaves it completely
down to the list of packages specified. However, you will need to be
careful with that selection and that rootfs will still need perl and
glibc etc. It is still Grip.

Crush could be good for me too, but since Crush only really supports arm at the moment, and filesystem space is not an issue, then Grip is a safer/better option as the packages are available for many architectures in precompiled form, and should be well tested and widely used on other systems and therefore should be more robust :)

Er, why does a rootfs for my target "need" perl ???
Is it do with init scripts or something ???
I would have thought bash or sh is all that was "needed" ???

So if emsandbox or multistrap can extract all files (via 'dpkg -e' and 'dpkg -x'), I could do my own postint by generating my own configuration files.

emsandbox has had this support for a long time but emsandbox was
written when only Crush was being considered, it doesn't handle Grip
particularly gracefully. However, because emsandbox still uses
debootstrap, you are then limited to one repository but gain the
ability to have complete control over the package selection via the
suite script used by debootstrap.

So it sounds like multistrap emsandbox could do most of what I want, but that multistrap would be the better option as it seems to be more versatile and is being actively developed to do some of the things I'm after. Yes ???

Thanks, Brendan.