Why does Grip install build /var/cache/apt?

Is there a good reason to keep /var/cache/apt/archives after a debootstrap
chroot install of Grip?  Is there an option in debootstrap to tell it not to
keep it.  On the system I have just built, it occupies approximately 27M of
109M.

I maintain an apt-cacher server, so that I have local copies of everything
anyway, so keeping a copy on the embedded system does not seem sensible.

If there is no option on debootstrap, maybe an extra step to do an apt-get
clean in the chroot would be a good idea.

David