Re: [RFC] [Cross Toolchain] Multiarch and sysrooted toolchain

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:40:39PM +0100, Hector Oron wrote:

>  <DIR>/{include,bin,lib,lib64}
>   Mainstream code expects a different layout more LHS compliant,
>  <DIR>/{usr/include,bin,lib,lib64}

"usr/include" looks horribly wrong to me, since it cannot be achieved in a
cross build by changing the --prefix argument to configure; specifically,
when configuring a subdirectory for the target, using
--prefix=${prefix}/${host_alias} is generally enough (and I believe this is
how the GNU toplevel project does it). Changing that would break things for
people who build GNU software with target specific bits by hand.

The only exception is core system software, where development stuff still
ends up in /usr for space reasons.

I think treating cross-building as largely orthogonal to supporting
multiple runtime ABIs on the same system isn't the worst of ideas, since
they have entirely different objectives, and there is generally no need to
install anything but libraries and headers into /usr/<triplet> -- so I
don't think there is a pressing need to replicate a filesystem hierarchy
standard below a triplet directory.

   Simon