Re: Issues with Emdebian Grip Installation

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:35:52 -0800
Kushal Koolwal <kushalkoolwal@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been waiting for quite some time to try Debian Embedded (Grip). However when I ran into some issues.

Philippe reported a problem with Emdebian Grip 1.0 on Sunday night and I
implemented the fix this morning. Sorry for the hassle.

> Issue #1
> I grabbed the Lenny Net-Install CD and select "Automated Graphic Install" however I did not get any screen which asks for the preseed file as mentioned here:
> http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/series/001-003-preseed_url_0.png.html

It's not the first screen you see, the network does need to be
configured first - did that happen? (the first image in the sequence).

> So I just added "url=http://www.emdebian.org/d-i/lenny/preseed.cfg"; at the boot prompt. Note - auto=true was also set.
>
> This got me started with the regular installation (Ethernet detection and all that) process until I reached the "Select and Install Software" screen. I did not get any screen (with Grip XFCE option) as mentioned here:
> http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/series/040-141-tasksel_first_1.png.html

There's a comment below the previous image:
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/series/038-135-debian-installer_main-menu_1.png.html

You need to "back-up" after installing the software - i.e. after the
stage below (and after the Grip stage that follows).

i.e. you get:
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/series/035-115-tasksel_first_0.png.html
before you get
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/series/039-140-tasksel_first_0.png.html
where you can select the desktop to get:
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/series/040-141-tasksel_first_1.png.html

It isn't a huge problem, you can always install the packages yourself
later but if you use the task, at least you are straight into a
graphical user interface from first boot.

> Issue #2
> Anyhow the installer continued it's installation process saying "Retrieving 1 of 116 files" and after 1 hour later, it said the installation step failed.
>
> What did I miss? Did I captured the wrong preseed file? Or did I selected the wrong option during boot.

No, I suspect the real problem was down to the repository error.

Please try again.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/