Re: Getting emdebian crush running: root passwort created by emsandboy and tty problem

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:56:35 +0100
"Hoefle Marco" <Marco.Hoefle@nanotronic.ch> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I posted previous threads regarding migrating from uC linux to emdebian. I am stuck right now with two problems which solutions I didn't find in the emdebian docs on emdebian.org.
> After the scripts in rc.d are executed I get the repeating message that tty1, tty2 and tty3 cannot be opened:

> What I did is using telnet to log into the system to examine what is wrong (after removing the S20sendsigs and S30killprocs from /etc/rc.d which would halt the system). Thus I added telnetd to rc.local as well as a few debug commands (ps, ls /dev/* -l).
> The telnet daemon is working, when I try to log into the emdebian system I get:
> wks02-lin:~# telnet 192.168.99.245
> Trying 192.168.99.245...
> Connected to 192.168.99.245.
> Debian GNU/Linux 5.0
> emdebian-arm login: root
> Password:
> Login incorrect

Hmm. That might be a recurrence of
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=484700 which I thought
I'd fixed by migrating to busybox 1:1.11.1-1em1.

The workaround that we used before was:

Get into the shell that you used to install Emdebian Crush, chroot into
the installed system and run:

passwd

Sorry about the hassle, there are plenty of issues in Crush 1.0 that we
need to identify and fix for Crush 2.0 "squeeze".

> So I thought either the emsandbox or secondstage script take the root password of the machine where the scripts where executed but both passwords don't work.

We need to get the Debian Installer to work with embedded systems
really, that would solve all these problems but it demands too many
resources currently. Crush 1.0 is difficult because it leaves all this
stuff to you when full size systems have hidden all the detail inside
installers.

> To fix the tty problem I printed out the current /dev/ folder and the ttys are indeed missing. Thus I wanted to create them with MAKEDEV console and
> mknod /dev/tty0 c 4 64
> mknod /dev/tty1 c 4 65
> mknod /dev/tty2 c 4 66
> mknod /dev/tty3 c 4 67

Maybe someone else can help you with that one.