Re: Need armel build logs for 4 packages

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 17:16 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 14:46 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> > As such, it is possible that I may be able to collate the test results
> > into emdebian-tools and generate a file in /etc/ that stores the values
> > as retrieved from Debian, a linux kernel and glibc. The values could
> > then be checked by emdebian-tools and the file updated if any of the
> > values change - insuring us against stale cache values. A specially
> > crafted configure.ac could be used to generate the file, adding a
> > dependency on autoconf to emdebian-tools but that is not a problem due
> > to the existing dependency on build-essential, automake and gcc. The
> > test could be run by emsetup (which is called each time an empdebuild
> > chroot is updated).
>
> Actually, generating these results is not trivial - the m4 macros are
> often in the packages themselves, not in autoconf.
>
> Copying the m4 files is no better than copying the shell scripting or
> just the results themselves.

So a new script will join emdebian-tools: emcache

It simply compares the cache values from your build tree (i.e. the ones
you've built successfully) against the cache values that will end up in
the dpkg-cross package at the next release.

If the values differ or new ones have been needed, emcache simply
outputs the details and asks for you to file a bug detailing the
difference, as output by emcache.

Either the patches will be updated or the bug will be re-assigned to
dpkg-cross and fixed with a new upload. This will provide a real measure
of how often these things change.

If the number of changes is high, then an alternative will be set up to
allow for more flexible modification of the cache values, some form
of /etc/dpkg-cross/cache.d/ arrangement.

emcache can also be used with an arbitrary collated cache file. I'll add
a "log" mode that outputs a suitable collated cache file. So far, none
of the cache files have needed changes.