Re: at the end of emdebuild...

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 19:28 +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 17:01 +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> > >   When doing a cross arch build it fails
> > > saying that there is an uninitialised value in join (the place where
> > > is uses @line is join( " ", @line)).

This isn't a failure, it's just a warning message - the script
continues without problems.

> > > Now in this case there ARE (two) unmet things to be installed,
> > > so it should have something to do here.

apt-cross has identified that these two packages are already installed.

> Cleaned and emdebianised source tree for 'dpkg' exists at
> '/home/david/emdebian/trunk/d/dpkg/trunk/dpkg-1.14.16.6'
> Installing build dependencies with apt-get
> Enter your sudo password if prompted.
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 71 not upgraded.
> Installing cross dependencies with emdebuild --build-dep
> Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/bin/emdebuild line 674.

I'm not sure why that message appears but it is not important, nor is it
a "failure". It's just a message. I will see what can be done but it is
not a problem.

> Installing:   zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libselinux1-dev with apt-cross.

You should find that zlib1g-dev-mipsel-cross, libbz2-dev-mipsel-cross
and libselinux1-dev-mipsel-cross are already installed and up to date.

> Checking dependencies: /
> 0 to be upgraded, 0 to be newly installed.

That is what this line means - apt-cross has checked your installation
and found that dpkg on your build machine claims these packages as
already installed as cross packages (and are also almost certainly
installed as native packages simply because so many other packages use
them).

> Attempting an automatic build
> Building 'dpkg' for mipsel on i386.

And so the build proceeds - any failures beyond this point are down to
the build itself, not the dependencies.

(Note that this stage happens at the very start of the build -
dpkg-buildpackage hasn't even been called yet. emdebuild is about to set
up the workarounds for the known dpkg cross building bugs and then call
dpkg-buildpackage -a mipsel in that modified environment.)