Re: Getting (really) Started

On 2008-03-25 22:13 +1300, Ravi Chemudugunta wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have had a lot of trouble just even getting started, my efforts have
> so far been unsucessful, and I am hoping that posting here, someone
> will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong.  I have access to a
> Ubuntu Gutsy Machine; so I strapped Debian Etch, mounted the proc file
> system, bind mounted the dev filesystem and chrooted into the system.
>
> apt-get install emdebian-tools
>
> package not found, hmm ... so I checked the /etc/apt/sources.list, it
> looked ok - I added the US mirror just to be on the safe side, tried
> again! it didn't work ...
>
> Somewhere else on the wiki, there is a mention of using sid, so I try
> to strap sid, it gets broken halfway - I figure here is something
> wrong upstream, so strapped etch again, went into the apt/sources.list
> and changed etch to sid (good idea?) I did a apt-get update, and
> emdebian-tools shows up in the cache (is this normal ? emdebian-tools
> only existing in the sid repositories).

Yes, emdebian-tools is quite new and thus is not in the current stable
release (etch). You need to be using at least testing, and preferably
sid. You should have debootstrapped a lenny or sid chroot, rather than
try and update to them.

Sorry this wasn't clear. If there is a place you were following
instructions from where it should have said this then please point it
out (or edit wiki pages) to save those coming after you from this
confusion.

> I was wondering if there's a online emdebian 'playground' that I can
> use to try some simple things like cross compiling packages (pruning
> dependencies, removing documentation etc.) ?

You mean somewhere you could ssh into and run the emdebian tools? No,
there isn't, but it's an interesting idea. Anyone wish to offer such a
machine? I will have a spare server here in the next few months once
everything is migrated off it. Perhaps this could be set up on that.

> (btw lurking in the chatrooms, there seems to be no one alive =)

It was the easter holiday in the UK so maybe everyone was elsewhere? I
know I was :-) (snow! sledging!)

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/