Re: Emdebian Grip is available - and 25% smaller.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:53:07 +0100
Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > I've just converted my Acer Aspire1 (i386) - running XFCE - from
> > Debian Lenny to Emdebian Grip:
> >
> > I'm migrating the current packages to Emdebian Grip testing soon and
> > I'll be making a release of Emdebian Grip 1.0 (based on Debian 5.0
> > "Lenny") as well as Emdebian Crush 1.0 (based on Debian 5.0
> > "Lenny"), alongside the main Lenny release.
> >
> > Finally, note that Grip is binary compatible with Debian - indeed,
> > the binaries themselves are untouched - but bugs that appear in
> > Emdebian Grip must only be filed against the buildd.emdebian.org
> > pseudo-package. Right now, reportbug is not part of Emdebian Grip
> > because I need a way of telling reportbug to only use the
> > pseudo-package.
> >
> > The main usability improvements will come in the development of
> > Emdebian 2.0 (based on Debian 6.0 "Squeeze") - please consider
> > Emdebian 1.0 as a "developer release", think back to what things
> > were like with Slackware 1.0 or Debian buzz, rex or bo.
> >

> Neil you are great, thank you for all this hard work.
>
> I think I will also do a fresh debootstrap with Grip, debootstrap is
> my favorite way to install fresh Debian installs, and I can do this
> blind folded :-p
>
> When will there be a "stable" version? Please let us all know, I would
> like to be one of the first to be able to release a production
> computer/device based on emdebian and do my share of testing and
> spreading awareness about emdebian.

Hmmm, stable. Well, Emdebian 1.0 will be released under the "stable"
codename alongside Lenny but I'm nervous about calling that
"production". Emdebian 1.0 stable will be a developer release - there
are a long list of bugs likely to be hiding right around the corner.

The first "production" release of Emdebian was always planned to be for
Debian 6.0 "Squeeze", not actually Lenny. It's the delays in releasing
Lenny that have allowed time for an interim development release of
Emdebian.

Any point release of Lenny (5.1 or whatever) will be accompanied by an
Emdebian release, at which point things should have improved
significantly, not necessarily within the packages but within the
surrounding support like debian-installer, debian-live and just
generally making it easier to use both flavours of Emdebian.

> BTW can you make it at Fossdem 2009 in Brussels in February

Yes, I will be at FOSDEM - just making final arrangements with others
on this list. I intend to make a release talk in the embedded devroom
where I hope to have SD cards and CF cards to give away, carrying
Emdebian images. I'll also be making a talk on TDebs in the Debian
developer room. See you in Brussels.

> and maybe
> give us all a nice speech like last year, it is important to keep
> reminding the Debian developers that they also need to thing of small
> devices, tdebs and sensible dependencies with packaging.

I will continue to do just that. Thanks.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/