dpkg-cross to be removed post Lenny

dpkg-cross will finally disappear from Debian once Lenny is released.
Yes, I know this was originally planned to be done before Lenny but
other changes took priority. dpkg-cross was not in a suitable state for
migration until the cache-file issues had a partial solution which has
only happened since DebConf8.

The removal will be done by converting dpkg-cross and
libdebian-dpkgcross-perl into empty transition packages that depend (>=)
on whatever version of dpkg-dev includes the dpkg-cross code. dpkg-cross
CVS has already been pruned to make this migration easier. Once all
packages in Debian unstable and testing have migrated to the dpkg-dev
code (and I've finished experimenting on the dpkg-cross packages to sort
out TDeb support for debconf|cdebconf), the transition packages will be
removed from Debian completely, well in advance of the Squeeze freeze.

I'm considering retaining the existing dpkg-cross code as fake or dummy
packages that can be used by systems that need the backported
apt-cross/libcache-apt-perl code but do not have the relevant version of
dpkg-dev to use the migrated code - i.e. Lenny systems. I'm not sure
whether to call these dpkg-cross-dummy or dpkg-cross_2.3.0.1lenny1 etc.
I haven't raised these ideas with the dpkg maintainers yet, there is
enough going on right now.

I'll try to get this working first time and make the last release of
dpkg-cross into the backport and then make the upload to unstable
containing the empty transition packages:

Current situation:
Debian Sid|Lenny : dpkg-cross 2.3.0
	i18n update for Sid|Lenny : dpkg-cross 2.3.0.1
	(for unblock due to updated debconf translations)
	(upload is due in 10 days from now)
Emdebian Sid : dpkg-cross 2.3.3
	soon to receive 2.3.4 with the i18n updates

After Lenny:
Debian Sid|Squeeze : 2.4.0
	all the Emdebian changes made during the freeze
	begin work to migrate 2.4.0 into dpkg-dev
Debian Lenny: 2.3.0.1
Backports : 2.3.0.1lenny1
Emdebian stable : 2.3.0.1lenny1

After the migration into dpkg-dev:
Debian Sid|Squeeze : 3.0.0 - empty transition packages, dependent on the
relevant version of dpkg-dev and Provided&Replaced by that version of
dpkg-dev.
Debian Lenny : 2.3.0.1
Backports : 2.3.0.1lenny1
Emdebian stable : 2.3.0.1lenny1

(Emdebian stable == the current debian repository of toolchain packages
and backported versions of dpkg-cross, apt-cross and emdebian-tools.)

(Which reminds me, have the toolchains been migrating into
http://buildd.emdebian.org/debian testing main ?)

As for the debconf strings in dpkg-cross 2.3 and 2.4, there is every
chance that these will not be acceptable within dpkg-dev, depending on
whether dpkg-dev includes dpkg-cross completely or as a new binary
package built from dpkg. I'm considering relocating the debconf
questions into emdebian-tools and updating apt-cross to not expect them.

Once dpkg-cross has been completely removed, I'll look at migrating
apt-cross into apt or libapt-pkg-perl.