Re: emdebian chroot

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:11:28 +1000
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

> I have a debian lenny setup and want to use a chroot to install emdebian
> unstable packages.

Not to install - the root filesystem is how the packages are installed
onto the embedded device.

The chroot is for building packages, generally. However, for Lenny, you
do not need a chroot to install emdebian-tools, you can simply install
emdebian-tools and use the tools to create a cross-building chroot.
Packages should be cross-built within a chroot - use empdebuild for
that. Packages need to be collated into a root filesystem which
involves using a chroot - use emsandbox for that.

To actually run emsource and emdebuild, you only need Lenny. However,
there have been other updates since 1.4.3 that cannot be put into
testing at this time.

> I believe that's the recommended way to use
> emdebian, correct?

Only for Etch.

> I really want to use the latest gcc-4.3 cross-compiler tools for m68k,
> powerpc, and arm architectures, but I want a stable lenny system for
> everything else :)

Fine, Lenny has emdebian-tools 1.4.3 - once Lenny is released as
stable, I'll make the latest changes in emdebian-tools available.

emsetup will give you the latest cross-compilers for the requested
architectures, on Lenny. empdebuild will then be able to create a
cross-building chroot and compress it for later use with empdebuild
itself and 'em_autobuild -p'.

> Is there a recommended way to setup the chroot for emdebian?  Is there a
> howto or info on the emdebian wiki ???  I couldn't see much at my first
> look.

empdebuild does all the chroot operations for building packages.

emsandbox does all the chroot operations for root filesystems.

> Should I be using any of these ???
> chroot?  fakerootchroot? debbootstrap? pbuilder?

empdebuild and emsandbox use chroot, debootstrap and pbuilder so that
you don't have to.