Re: Beginner questions / Emdebian on MIPS

Hi Neil!

Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer! I now have a much clearer
picture and better understanding of Emdebian which surely will help me
sorting out the problems I had.

Am Montag, den 01.09.2008, 10:37 +0100 schrieb Neil Williams:
> Bear in mind that we only have ARM binaries so far, people are working
> on armel, there has been some work on i386 but no work, AFAICT, on MIPS.

This was one of the reasons I started it: So that (maybe) someone could
profit from that. (Besides, I do not own any ARM or i386 hardware.)

> Emdebian does have a MIPS toolchain - $ emsetup -s -a mips -
> hopefully, you find that OK.

This was actually the one I used. I neither build it myself nor used one
outside of (Em)Debian. This wasn't clear from my wording, I have to
admit.

> I need the details of that patch, respective to the current patch set.
> Which file did you change?

I created a cache file, mips-linux-gnu.cache, which had the same content
as the arm cache file for ncurses. That was everything needed to build
ncurses.

The error message I mentioned in your other mail was actually the one I
saw. In the second ./configure run of ncurses the test for the AR_OPTS
was not run, leaving AR_OPTS empty and causing the build to fail since
those are required to run ar. (Should be set to "rv", IIRC.) As said,
adding the cache file fixed it. I tried this twice. So I do not yet
understand why this fails on ARM, too. Maybe the problem is somewhere
deeper.

To see what I describe above, you can search the buildlog for "checking
for arm-linux-gnu-ar". On the first configure run, you can see that it's
followed by a line reading "checking for archiver options (symbol
AR_OPTS)... rv" which is missing in the second run. So AR_OPTS seems to
be unset and uncached.

> but as you are working on MIPS, I want to see the changes before a
> commit so that I can ensure that MIPS changes can live alongside the
> ARM builds and to work out why you need a different patch in the first
> place.

Sure, full ACK. If I have patches, I'll mail them. Breaking things is
not intended at all.

> > [1] I think I used the testing version, all paths were hard-coded. If
> > that's not fixed in the latest emdebian-tools, I could provide patches.
>
> I am not sure to what you are referring here.

I was referring to the fact that the build logs have to reside
under /var/www/toolchain/buildd in order to be found by the .php
scripts. I modified the scripts so that one can change that via a
variable to match the local directory structure, if it is different.

Best regards
Manuel