Re: Plans for Emdebian testing

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 14:31 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Just before I left DebConf8, the package autobuilder was at 100% in-line
> with Debian unstable (it has since slipped) and this coincided with the
> point when the last packages that had an automatic freeze exception
> because they were uploaded to unstable prior to the Lenny freeze,
> migrated into testing. Not all subsequent uploads into Debian unstable
> will now migrate into Lenny, so the point has come to ensure we get the
> right versions into Emdebian testing. i.e. not upload new versions to
> Emdebian unstable that will not migrate into Debian Lenny until Emdebian
> testing is in-sync with Debian Lenny.
>
> Therefore, I'm now pausing the target package autobuilder until I can
> expand emtargetcmp to handle 'testing'. This will allow me to run
> comparisons between Emdebian testing and Debian testing to ensure that
> we have the same versions available.

Just as well the autobuilder was paused, the modifications in
emtargetcmp (currently being tested) show that some packages in unstable
are at different versions to testing in Debian:

Check if base-files (4.0.5) is yet to migrate via Britney.
Check if cdebconf (0.133) is yet to migrate via Britney.
Check if curl (7.18.2-7) is yet to migrate via Britney.
Check if dialog (1.1-20080727-1) is yet to migrate via Britney.
Check if netbase (4.33) is yet to migrate via Britney.
Check if sed (4.1.5-8) is yet to migrate via Britney.

Of these, base-files will be updated and migrate at the point of
release, to update /etc/debian-version. It will then migrate. The
autobuilder will cope with that one.

We need cdebconf (0.131) from Debian, we have cdebconf (0.133em1) in
unstable. I have a build of 0.131em1.

We need curl (7.18.2-5) from Debian, we have curl (7.18.2-7em1) in
unstable. I have a build of 7.18.2-5em1.

We need dialog (1.1-20080316-1) from Debian, we have dialog
(1.1-20080727-1em1) in unstable. I have a build of 1.1-20080316-1em1.

We need netbase (4.32) from Debian, we have netbase (4.33em1) in
unstable. I have a build of 4.32em1.

We need sed (4.1.5-6) from Debian, we have sed (4.1.5-8em1) in unstable.
sed 4.1.5-6 is very old and seems to have missed the freeze (presumably
some other problem prevented earlier migration which has now been
resolved with a freeze exception). I have a build of 4.1.5-6em1.

So there are 5 packages that need manual adjustment of the testing
repository. When I pull Emdebian unstable into Emdebian testing, these 5
will briefly disappear, to be replaced by the previous builds stored on
my buildd. Then I can restart the package autobuilder, as there are some
packages that are now behind Debian testing:

We need to build mktemp (1.5-9).
We need to build tzdata (2008e-3).

And some behind Debian unstable:
directfb     1.0.1-10     1.0.1-11
gcc-4.3      4.3.1-8      4.3.1-9
hal          0.5.11-2     0.5.11-3
mktemp       1.5-8        1.5-9
procps       3.2.7-8      3.2.7-9
shadow       4.1.1-3      4.1.1-4
sysvinit     2.86.ds1-60  2.86.ds1-61
tzdata       2008e-2      2008e-3
usbutils     0.73-9       0.73-10
xorg-server  1.4.2-3      1.4.2-4

We need cracklib2 (2.8.12-2) from Debian, we have cracklib2
(2.7-19.1em1) in unstable. I have a build of 2.8.12-2em1. Actually,
cracklib2 raises an interesting issue - the source package has dropped
certain binary packages and reprepro did not drop the "lost" binaries:

http://www.emdebian.org/packages/search.php?package=libcrack2
(current version)
http://www.emdebian.org/packages/search.php?package=cracklib2
(old version)

Hmmm. After a little checking, that was a package renaming and testing
still references the old binaries. Pulling 2.8.12-2em1 into testing will
resolve the problem. Just goes to show, emtargetcmp --migration-check
really cannot be 100% automated.
:-)

> I'm preparing the RC upload for emdebian-tools at the moment.

Uploaded to ftp-master.

> I'll then
> upload the next version to Emdebian to bring the package into line with
> current SVN, but I'll post separately about those changes.

Pending final fixes in emtargetcmp and another email here describing the
translation-support changes in the SVN version.