Re: [i386] - usbutils-0.73 failed

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:40 -0300, Herbert P Fortes Neto wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Builds fails becauso of i486-linux-gnu.cache file. It
> is updated and

cache files are always updated whether they are ours or not - that is
why emdebian-tools has to protect the file so that it only contains the
values we need to cache.

> configure: loading cache ../i486-linux-gnu.cache
> configure: error: `CFLAGS' has changed since the previous run: <<<
> configure:   former value:  -g -O2
> configure:   current value: -g -O2 -Os
> configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build

This should only affect a repeat build, not the first build.

>  I checked usbutils log for arm i saw the line
> not updating unwritable cache ../arm-linux-gnu.cache

Yes, protecting the changes we need from being mixed up in the complete
cache file that would have included every single variable from
the ./configure script.

>  Here if I download the source package with apt-get, so without
> emsource, the build is completed. The emdebian-rules.patch is
> simple

I'm working on a solution that will remove the need for these cache
files. Stale values are not the only reason to be rid of them, just the
most relevant one at the current time.

>  To be sure, I comment these lines in configure file
>
> if diff $cache_file confcache >/dev/null 2>&1; then :; else
>  # if test -w $cache_file; then
>  #   test "x$cache_file" != "x/dev/null" && echo "updating cache $cache_file"
>  #   cat confcache >$cache_file
>  # else
>     echo "not updating unwritable cache $cache_file"
>  # fi
> fi
>
> and the build was finally complete. I do not known why.

Because you stop the build from updating the cache file. A similar
effect can be achieved with the same workaround as used in
emdebian-tools - touch the file and chmod it 400. With that change, the
cache file isn't updated which means that the diff command doesn't
return a non-zero exit value and therefore the ./configure does not
fail.

Please report this as a bug in emdebian-tools so that I don't lose track
of it as a reason to work on the improvements around cache files. (Keep
the package name in the title.)