Re: gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 13:22 -0700, Russ Dill wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 12:07 -0700, Russ Dill wrote:
> >> Its some very annoying breakage. Someone built/uploaded the -8
> >> packages for amd64, but not i386.
> >
> > Each build takes a long time and whichever one is done first, the second
> > (or third) will not be available for a finite period of time.
> >
> > One possible way to avoid this would be for the built packages to be
> > queued until all toolchains are built and then "uploaded" as one. This
> > just isn't how Debian normally does things.
> >

> Wouldn't another possible way be not to remove the architecture all
> packages from the previous version until all the architectures are
> built?

The repository automatically removes -7 when -8 is included - that is
normal Debian behaviour. The updated package (-8) replaces the old
version of the same package (-7). The only way to preserve -7 is not to
include -8 into the repository until all -8 packages are available. If
-7 is in testing, then -7 will be retained but in testing, not unstable
(where all uploads are made). It is actually quite difficult to manage
migrations into testing and we need the autobuilders to be working fully
before a proper testing migration can be implemented (otherwise if the
autobuilders are broken, the version that needs to be migrated might not
exist).

The old method was a separate repository for each architecture which is
unmanageable and causes all the Arch:all packages to be duplicated in
incompatible ways.

The same will happen once the Emdebian target repository begins to
support armel and i386 as well as arm - the Architecture: all packages
will be uploaded after the ARM build and the armel and i386 binaries
will follow. That's how the buildd system works - with target packages
it will be a lot faster.

The problem is only noticeable because the toolchain builds take so
long.