Re: Having trouble with newt

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:45:57 +0000
David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 23 March 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 10:39 +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > I am working my way through building all the base files for i386, and I
> > > have hit a problem with newt.
> > >
> > > It complains about python2.5/_snackmodule.so, which is not found.
> >
> > That call should be removed - the patches might be out of date. Ensure
> > that any python packages are removed from debian/control and comment out
> > any calls to python in debian/rules.
> Well the patches are refreshed each time emsource is run, so I presume you
> mean that the SVN patches are not up to date.

For newt, possibly. Feel free to change the files manually. I'll see
about updating them soon.

> > Well, I'm not currently - same reason as perl.
> Thank is what I thought, which is why I was surprised to see a python problem.

The problem is that updated packages can break the patches and limited
time means that it is hard to keep up.

It's a little awkward right now - we need dpkg variant support to
provide an autobuilder but that can't realistically be implemented
until after Lenny is released but the drive towards the Lenny release
means more work until, gradually, more and more of our packages get
frozen in Debian which allows time to catch up.