arm specific patches

In the patches for util-linux, apt, dpkg, gnupg and mktemp there are patches
build a file called arm-linux-gnu.cache.  This file is then copied into the
build tree.

Now I realise that the patches can not build an architecture specific file,
we can not substitute into the diff file names.

So would it not be better to create a file called generic.cache, and then
when the cp is done to copy it into the build tree to convert it into an
architecture specific file name:-

cp generic.cache build-deb/$DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE.cache

in debian/rules.

Also, how does the emsource program know which patches are architecture
specific, so that it can ignore patches which are not relevant to the
architecture you are building?

David