Are there any notes on adding architectures for a package

I am trying to build all the base files for i386, and some of them only seem
to appear in the arm list in the emdebian packages list.  Are there any howto
docs showing what I need to add by way of local patches to enable an
additional architecture.

When I try the emsource -b is correctly works out that this is for i386, and
generates the right values for DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE, but it seems to generate
files of the form trunk/a/apt/trunk/apt-0.7.11/arm-linux-gnu.cache, rather
than i386-linux-gnu.cache.  Oddly when it comes to do gnupg, it tries to
copy i486-linux-gnu.cache, but never creates a .cache file at all.

Any clues?

David