Re: emdebian-tools : roadmap to a stable v1.0

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 23:13:29 +0100
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

> Hello Neil,
>
> Am 2008-02-04 20:42:52, schrieb Neil Williams:
> > Note that the short version of --variant is V - capital V (lower case v
> > is for --version).

My mistake, lower case v is for --verbose. --version has no short
alternative.

> This could be very confusing since many packages I use have "--version"
> and "-V" (capital "V") for the version while "-v" (lower case "v") is
> used for verbose.

So -v is for --verbose,
--version is alone
-V for --variant

I'm not aware of many packages that use -V for --version - certainly
none of the emdebian-tools scripts have a short version of --version
(mainly because --version is little different to --help which has the
short versions of -? or -h).

> So better to use "-v" if 'emsource' does not use the "verbose" mode.

With the correction, is it worth supporting a short option for
--version at all? I can't see that it is going to be as well used as
--variant and IMHO does not justify a short option.

The other use of --variant is for emsandbox which (currently) does not
support --verbose although it could pass that to debootstrap.

It would be good to have a consistent UI so if there are comments or
suggestions for a convention that can be applied against *all* scripts
in emdebian-tools, I'll consider it.