Re: GPE in Emdebian

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>> I'm just a little happy right now - I've just built and uploaded the
>> last dependency for GPE in Emdebian.
>>

> Great!!
>
> I'm turning into a big emdebian fan.  It's everything about Debian that
> I like, and nothing about Debian that I don't like.
>
> Tastes great, less filling!  :)

Don't forget the machine/variant customisation - you can build your own
package sets because no package is deemed "essential" anymore.

Once I've got GPE in a better state, I'm also looking at extending
machine/variant so that packages can be rebuilt locally with modified
patches so that particular machines can disable or re-enable a
particular ./configure option for fine tuning.

http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/customisation.html
http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/machinevariants.html

>> Quite annoying how persistent some Debian packages are about
>> manpages. The only long term solution is for dpkg to drop them from the
>> call to dpkg-deb because there are so many ways that manpages can make
>> it into the package.
>>

> I would have loved for manpages to always be confined to <pkg>-man, kind
> of like how you see <pkg>-doc sometimes.  I like the policy of always
> having them available, but like you, I don't always want them around...

Maybe. If Tdebs get widespread support, it would make little sense to
force *all* users to have English manpages if a translated manpage also
exists so maybe Debian could be persuaded to only install manpages for
supported locales and only use English as a last resort. With the
prevalence of the "hard disc space is cheap" mantra, I suspect that it
will simply be a case of adding translated manpages on top so it'll be
left to Emdebian and similar groups to implement the
single-copy-and-fallback option.