Re: Rsyncd on emdebian.org

Hi,

Wookey wrote:

Would it be possible to enable rsyncd on emdebian.org?

I think so.

I'm interested in creating a local mirror of the emdebian repository and I'd like to just rsync the files over. I could use debmirror but this is less efficient than rsync.

debmirror actually uses less bandwidth than a "normal" rsync, as it uses the information from the Packages files to determine what it needs. debmirror with rsync uses the same amount as debmirror over http (there is no way to save anything, since all files it wants to retrieve are new).

We have no policy on mirrors yet, as you are the first to ask. Rsync
has a reputation for heavy load on the server, but I don't suppose
that will be an issue for a while, so my initial reaction is 'yes, why
not'.

Same here.

The "heavy load" occurs if you enable checksumming (which allows clients to ask for checksums of all files matching a pattern -- this is also disabled on the Debian mirrors), and, to a lesser extent, if people use rsync directly instead of debmirror, and make a mistake in the rsync command line (e.g. checking ownership of files against the server) as these mistakes make rsync believe that it needs to transfer the file as the metadata does not match, which starts with checksumming the file.

I'd enable it now, but the box seems to have lost power (again). I shall kick people before their morning cup of coffee tomorrow.

   Simon