Re: developing .deb packages for embedded systems

On 2007-09-26 15:28 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:52:16 -0700 (PDT)
> varun_shrivastava <varun.celunite@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > hello Neil
> >
> >   i can use emdebian .deb packages but for example we have made  changes to
> > gtk library.
> > Now if i use emdebian .deb package than can i apply my changes to emdebian
> > .deb package?
>
> Yes - if those changes are to files in debian/* then emdebian-tools
> will pick up those changes. If you mean patches to the upstream source,
> you should use whatever patch system is used by the package and
> implement a patch in debian/patches (or wherever else the package
> stores patches).

This is an area we need to think about. Nearly every embedded
developer needs to modify a subset of packages, uusally in minor ways,
but sometimes extensively. For emdebian to be really useful it needs
to make this as easy as possible.

I currently use a boardname-config package to hack a load of files
after a chroot is built because otherwise I have to alter 15 different
packages install scripts in non-obvious ways. But this is a bit of a
hack. Debian is not currently built with this stuff in mind and I'm
sure it could be made less painful, without having to become expert in
every package...

Initscripts is a whole area that needs work, for example - the
standard Debian ones are very slow and do a load of irrelevant stuff.
There is work on this in mainline debian, but I think more is needed
for some sorts of embedded work.

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/