Re: Debian based root fs

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:32:04 +0200
Wouter Morgan <morgan@bluecube.co.za> wrote:

> I'm in the process of building a Debian based root filesystem to be used
> on a i386 processor. I did a lenny bootstrap and removed the following:
>
> The problem is that it is still over 80MB in size. What other tricks do
> some of you know of to get the system even smaller.

Remove perl. Easier said than done but it is possible. (Replace debconf
with cdebconf for starters.)

Use busybox instead of coreutils and it's dependencies.

> Don't need anyting
> special, just to run an in house developed binary as well as ssh and ppp.

I've built several for arm at 15Mb installed, 5Mb compressed. None of
the packages used to build that have been built for i386 though - they
were cross-built for arm using emdebian-tools.

Take a look at the debootstrap scripts in emdebian-tools - especially
the one called by emsandbox.

You may be able to get down to 20Mb or so installed size.