Re: Building embedded arm on a NSLU2

Am 2007-08-01 14:02:19, schrieb Neil Williams:
> For your situation, I'd think that dpkg-filtering or some similar
> method is all you need. As you only want native packages and you have a
> device that can cope with a complete Debian install, I'm not sure you
> need Emdebian at all. You could simply do a minimal Debian install,
> throw away /usr/share/doc and most of /usr/share/locale and gain a
> whole lot of storage space.

I took already all packages I have on a minimal installation I need and
then modified debian/rules to put only the bare minimum in the DEB's
and even this is to big.

I get to big installations where my target is 256 MByte for an embedded
mobil-computer

I am already removing one binary afterone and look what happen to my
system...  And yes, I have xorg running and it seems, it does in "normal
use" not more use 10% of the files installed...  fvwm is already striped
since there are modules I never need.  Icons are now converted from XPM
to PNG and compressed manualy to get best ration between quality and
size.

I should note, that this embedded mobil-computer has more or less
scientifique use and has many hardware attached since I have a 64 port
AD/DA converter and 32 8-Bit bidirectional IO-Ports (plus Handshake).
This is selfmade (using Chips from Dallas/Maxim and Philips/NPX) but
the kernel modules are not ready yet.

So, a normal Debian installation for this mobile-computer is arround
800 MByte where I have currently 360 MByte.

The biggest problem would be the GTK application...

But since GTK is now working on the console with PIXBUFF maybe I will
code some stuff (a Desktop environement) which does NOT REQUIRE xorg
and a Window-Manager as I have coded it long time ago under MS-Dos using
DJGPP with ALLEGRO and was called TDDesk.  (Ideas stolen from SEAL)

I think, there is a very big lake for embedded systems which need a
graphical user environement where xorg is definitivly a killer.

Note: A friend of me has adapted TD-Dos (my 32 bit version of DOS
      using bash as shell) to his mobil-computer (like the iPod but
      a little bit older) and it works nearly 30 times faster then
      Windows CE and 25 times faster then linux on it.

      And it do, what it should do...

But, since I am now 1/2 jobless (I am working but have not enough
customers to pay my bills since my contract with the french MoD is
finished) I do not know, how fast can I get new stuff running but
I want to switch my activities more to electronic development and
embedded systems (using 100% Debian)...

So if I get some co-workers I will start a new Emterprise...
                                 ...but definitivly NOT in Europe!

Note 2: About prices fro SBC's and such...  There is no reason to
        push prices for SBC's to 4-8 times  the price of normal
        computers...  Today I have alredy gotten the first infos
        by post about ARM and sisters.  Including price lists.

        The pure hardware prices (even in retail trade) is between
        30 and 80 Euro for a complete SBC without the mainboard
        which would be environement 30-50 Euro (by 1000 produced).
        This SBC would have much more power then a NSLU2.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)